Wednesday, January 25, 2012

National Pride

Hello Blogfam
So, something I consider very interesting happened today in one of my health policy classes
A quick Background/Intro [I am Nigerian and darn proud to be one]

I was presenting a case of a policy formulation I had been part of [ I would spare you the details]
What I won't spare you however is one little detail of the process that sparked such a reaction

So somewhere in that process, my responsibility included authenticating a drug's license with NAFDAC
NAFDAC for the those who don't know is Nigeria's version of the FDA here in the US
Barely had I mentioned that when a European colleague of mind made a comment that suggested
That we were being unreasonable to trust anything that was tested and approved by any agency found in Nigeria

...And then the reactions started

Some fellow Nigerians in class immediately contoured their facial expressions: frowns visible across their brows, muttering swelling in the ranks of the slighted Nigerians they voiced in a few local dialects their utmost displeasure at what they had just heard
I immediately stopped her and corrected her insensitive and poorly placed statement by telling her that we had a fantastic organization in NAFDAC which was one of the prides of our nation
Even a lady from Ghana seated beside her told her "It's probably one of the best in Africa" and understanding the neighborly rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana that was a very welcomed seal of approval

The class ended not long after [only because time was up and not because of the visible tension following the statement]
And my Nigerian sisters immediately gathered around me [as I am the only Nigerian male in this particular class] and we ran a short commentary on the disrespect that had just been accorded us
Friends from other nationalities as far as India and Pakistan alluded to the fact that the comment was way out of line and sympathized with our anger

An hour later, I got an online chat message from one of my "sisters" who had stumbled across the lady from Europe and promptly hammered in the matter: Don't talk about my Nigeria like that

And that's right, its my Nigeria, it may not be all she can be but be assured she will get to her place of glory and you: the outsider have no right to sit in judgement over her especially when you have no stake in her

This piece is for all Nationals in a foreign land who have had to stand in righteous defense of your homeland
I salute your sense of National Pride and  say please don't let no one take it from you...ever

No comments:

Post a Comment