Friday, January 20, 2012

Shock

And so it begins
[Drumrolls]
Actually at the onset nothing is obviously out of place
[Drumrolls fade]
The world seems normal, not a strand of the regular sequence seems disturbed
Then it starts [In my experience it is always a phone call] and we hear the words
Words that would haunt us for a lifetime and if not even beyond
[Drumrolls]
“He’s Not Breathing”
“I Will Kill You”
“This isn’t working: You’ve been unfair to me”
[Drumrolls fade]
Have been three phrases that have rocked my world in the recent past
Each unleashing a variety of emotions each very unique in its regard
But each geared at ultimately making me feel ALONE, VERY ALONE
 [Mournful dirge]
Then the torture starts: Physiological and Psychological
Feverish patterns dance across our weary cerebral thermostats
Fiendish imaginations and scenarios play out upon a now febrile mind
The tongue will taste no food: the body wants none; it feels like it deserves none
[Mournful dirge ends abruptly]
How dare the tummy be happy when the mind is run amok with questions: Why, What, When, How
Lethargy sets in, threatening to paralyze desire and cripple the will to go on
[Fast tempo music with rhythmic beats in the background]
And then it comes: the acknowledgement of  
The pain, the terror, the reality that things have forever changed
Nothing would remain the same anymore and truthfully nothing really does that
[Music fades]
Change is constant we are told, I only wish Change would give me a fair head start
So I might prepare: say my goodbyes, apologize, give one more hug, say one more kind word: basically giving me one last opportunity to make things right
Then maybe it wouldn’t hurt as much as it does
Who am I kidding? It would always hurt
[Soft Music starts in a swell]
But I trust the only unchanging factor in all of these to give me strength
Help me God: I heard one of those dreadful phrases…I heard it this Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment